Monday, November 28, 2011

Review: Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson





The Name of the Star

By: Maureen Johnson

Intended Age: YA

Hardcover: 372 pages
Published September 29th 2011 by Putnam Juvenile
ISBN 0399256601 (ISBN13: 9780399256608)

Synopsis: The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.


Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities. –goodreads.com

OK, this book just looks nice. I love the cover, with its opalescent tone, giving it an ethereal feel. So eerie. I love how the first page each chapter is bordered by these beautiful scrolls and the font is super cool especially when the Chapter begins with the letter I (it looks like a candle)

I have heard about this book on the blogosphere for some time now and I finally got my hands on this book (just released Sept 29th) Thank you Maggie for getting this for your birthday and letting me read it!

I started this book at night and stayed up as long as I could finishing it before lunch the next day. It is truly creepy! This book could keep you up at night scouring the shadows of your room. Jack the ripper is frightening enough! Now there is a copycat killer and main character Rory has just moved to the locality of the original and now copycat murders. Maureen Johnson ups the stakes by adding a ghoulish twist I really didn’t see coming. All and all it was an awesome hair-raising tale that I highly recommend.

My only complaint is that I read this SO soon after it was published! DARN! Now I have to wait till book two of the Shades of London Series is released. AHHHHHHH! So I will now troll/cyber-stalk Maureen Johnson’s twitters for any news and updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment