Monday, October 4, 2021

It's October! Time for spooky reads.


It's October so I thought I would post some of my favorite spooky books.
I'm starting with one of my all time favorites. 
To me this is the ultimate essential fall read.

Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

Synopsis: When the carnival comes to town, two boys unearth the terrifying and horrible secrets that lurk within Cooger & Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show and learn the consequences of wishes, as a sinister and evil force is at work in Green Town, Illinois.

The first time I read this, I thought it was magical. Even now when I re-read this book I have that same feeling course through me. I love Ray Bradbury's writing. With each page I'm transported to cool evenings where I can smell the fall leaves as I listen to them rustle in the autumn breeze. 
 
Head to your local library and check out the book (or ebook) then grab some apple cider and warm pumpkin bread and enjoy.

I'll leave you with the opening paragraphs...

“First of all, it was October, a rare month for boys. Not that all months aren’t rare. But there be bad and good, as the pirates say. Take September, a bad month: school begins. Consider August, a good month: school hasn’t begun yet. July, well, July’s really fine: there’s no chance in the world for school. June, no doubting it, June’s best of all, for the school doors spring wide and September’s a billion years away.

But you take October, now. School’s been on a month and you’re riding easier in the reins, jogging along. You got time to think of the garbage you’ll dump on old man Prickett’s porch, or the hairy-ape costume you’ll wear to the YMCA the last night of the month. And if it’s around October twentieth and everything smoky-smelling and the sky orange and ash gray at twilight, it seems Halloween will never come in a fall of broomsticks and a soft flap of bedsheets around corners.” 





No comments:

Post a Comment