Friday, February 17, 2012

Review: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton


Synopsis: Three brothers struggle to stay together after their parents' death, as they search for an identity among the conflicting values of their adolescent society in which they find themselves "outsiders."

When my daughter had to read The Outsiders for her 7th grade English class I pulled out my copy and decided to re read it! The Outsiders is one of my all time favorite books. I have not read this in a long time though I have read it more times than I can count. When I had to read it for school I read it over and over and over. I read it at least four or five times in the time allotted to read it for class. My copy is old and trashed but I love this book! Re-reading it with the soft silky worn pages fitting in my hand I have to wonder why I have not re-read this for so long.

I love hearing Ponyboy’s voice in my head. Of course as I re-read this now I have the luxury of visualizing the characters from the movie in my mind. (This story is one of the times I really do not mind the movie!) The movie (1983) has Matt Dillon, Rob Lowe, C. Thomas Howell, Patrick Swayze, Tom Cruise, Emilio Estevez and Ralph Macchio. I remember when the movie came out and as a tween girl with a huge crush on Matt Dillon The Outsiders became my favorite movie (and still is). I absolutely stand behind the statement the book is always better! (though I am grateful Francis Ford Coppola did not cast a blond for Dally) In the book the characters are much deeper. I love how it captures that the tough guy greaser can be sensitive and to me that truly is touching. Their loyalty is something to desire. It tells us while sometimes we cannot change our circumstances, we certainly can affect the outcome. If you have not read this you should and if you have you should re-read it.

I give this 5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment